AUTHOR INTERVIEW WITH SMASHWORDS

Interview with Janet Cameron

What book marketing techniques have been most effective for you?
I like Pinterest, as it's fun to create pins and categorise them. The problem is that the first edition of my EIGHTEEN AMAZING WOMEN PHILOSOPHERS (published on Smashwords as FIFTEEN WOMEN PHILOSOPHERS) did well on Pinterest, and had around 1.3k hits, and plenty of shares and comments. My publisher, the online educational site, Decoded Everything, folded, and my book disappeared so I needed to republlish it myself which has been a tough learning curve. It has also been a little bit painful closing down the pins displaying that first edition, and sacrificing the 1.3k hits to give the new book a chance. I hope it will soon catch up, as it's beeen revised and has three more brilliant women philosophers. It's my baby, the result of lots of research and reflection and inspiring content, and I hope people will continue to buy it.
What is your favourite review for Eighteen Amazing Women Philosophers?
I've been lucky enough to get a professional book reviewer, Zoe King, to read and rate the book. Zoe gave it 5 stars (Hooray) and here is her review:

"As the author says in her opening salvo, why a book on ‘women’ philosophers? The answer she goes on to tell us is that women are woefully neglected in general introductory philosophy books. In an attempt to restore the balance, Janet Cameron here features 18 women who have, each in their own way, contributed to the genre over the years. She cites Hegel and other male commentators who have remarked upon the omission, not always in a supportive manner, and goes on to tell us briefly and concisely about women we should know about, and should celebrate ranging from 5 th century mathematician Hypatia, through later feminists.

In Chapter 1, the author marries her twin passions of poetry and philosophy to take a look at Hypatia, citing the work of American poet Adrienne Rich. In Diving into the Wreck, Rich mirrors the lift and obscene death of Hypatia, who so threatened the status quo that she was allegedly killed by having oyster shells hurled at her. In chapter 2, we find 10th century Japanese feminist, Murasaki Shikibu, reputed to be the world’s first woman novelist. Little is known about her life, but Cameron explores what little we do know.

Following chapters take us through better known names such as Mary Wollstonecraft, Ada Lovelace, Ayn Rand, Simone de Beauvoir, and up to the present day, with a look at Iris Murdoch, Mary Warnock, Mary Midgley, and the oft beleaguered Mary Beard. All in all, the book builds into an invaluable introduction to these wonderful women and will undoubtedly fire the imagination and the desire to learn more.
What's the story behind your latest book?
Ten years ago I joined a Philosophy course. The teacher was very good and went through the history of philosophy entirely from a male perspective. This was interesting, but when he asked us what we'd like to do next term, I said could we look at some women philosophers? He shrugged dismissively and said, "It's not very interesting. It's just about feminism." I was so mad with him, but this further sparked my interest, which had always been there. But now I wanted to do something about it. I began to run a course myself, strictly non-sexist as we looked at both male and female philosophers. Then I began to write content for an educational website, who published the first edition of the book with Smashwords, but with just fifteen women philosophers, For the second edition, that is, the one I am hoping you will want to read, I revised a little, and also added three more women.
What motivated you to become an indie author?
I have been traditionally published for all my adult life, in fact I have earned my living that way, along with teaching English and lecturing in creative writing. However, in retirement I have developed more "niche" interests. I have actually turned down commissions offered by two or three of my former publishers - I have enjoyed my writing but my heart isn't in "that place" any more. I don't regret it. I much prefer to write about philosophy and poetry than murders, crime and ghosts! The money isn't so good, but the freedom is wonderful!
How has Smashwords contributed to your success?
The first edition of my most precious book attracted some attention on Smashwords since its first publication in 2014, so that set the bar for future success - I hope.
What is the greatest joy of writing for you?
I love my subject. Also, I must confess, I like being appreciated for what I produce.
What are you working on next?
I am working on my book of iconic women poets. It's actually finished apart from proofreading and checking presentation.
Who are your favorite authors?
Too many to list here. Iris Murdoch, for her wonderful philosophy book, Metaphysics as a Guide to Morals, My favourite poets are Adrienne Rich, Maya Angelous, Charles Bukowski, Walt Whitman, and the incomparable John Keats. My favourite novelist is probably Ian McEwan and my favourite short story writers are Helen Simpson, Raymond Carver and Alice Munro.
What inspires you to get out of bed each day?
Breakfast! Also, I do look forward to writing, walking and seeing friends.
How do you discover the ebooks you read?
I search on my device for favourite authors.
Do you remember the first story you ever wrote?
Yes. It was called "A Day in the Life of a Mouse" and it was read out in front of the entire school. I was ten.
What is your writing process?
I think I probably just "go with the flow", forgive the cliche. I never sit down in front of a blank sheet. I do a lot of thinking and when I'm ready, I write, on a sheet of paper if I'm not at home. This may seem disorganised, and I suppose it is. Still, I have produced a lot of books and been translated into several languages; also my work has had to fit around other responsibilities.

Connect with Janet Cameron:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/janetcameron.104
Twitter: https://twitter.com/
Blog: http://janetcameronwriting.blogspot.com
Smashwords Interview:   https://www.smashwords.com/interview/janetmc
Smashwords profile page: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/janetmc

Published 2019-08-26.
Smashwords Interviews are created by the profiled author, publisher or reader. Create your own interview!

Books by This Author



Eighteen Amazing Women Philosophers 
Price: $2.39 USD. Words: 22,470. Language: English. Published: July 31, 2019. Categories:Nonfiction » Philosophy » Ethics & moral philosophyNonfiction » Biography » Philosopher biography
Throughout history, women refused to be subjugated by a patriarchal society. They wanted freedom, education, and sexual and financial independence. As a result, they struggled to find ways to live better and address inequality, and today they excel in the fields of Applied Philosophy, such as morality and ethics,


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifteen Women Philosophers

Political Uses of Literature - Italo Calvino on Hidden Motives

Jennifer Young - Role Model for Aspiring Romantic Thriller Writers